On behalf of Knuckle Salad and my boyfriend’s Incredible Hulk action figure, I would like to present a new pea-and-potato mash-up, heretofore known as…
Inspired by The Avengers, a super awesome movie that I (and probably you) went out and saw and loved, these bright green mashed potatoes are enriched with the sweetness and vitaminity of peas! HULK SAYS YUM!
Hulk’s Mash is a simple and versatile recipe. For instance, you can use the novelty of green potatoes to sneak vegetables into children, simply by sticking to kid-friendly flavors. Or, as an alternative…
…you can add some subtle mint for a sophisticated, more adult appeal. HULK ENCOURAGES YOU TO RELAX.
Make these with mint, garlic, or cheese—DOESN’T MATTER! HULK SAYS DELICIOUS EITHER WAY!
Maybe too delicious. Hulk, it’s rude to eat with your hands! Get a fork!
“Sometimes, Hulk so clever, Hulk almost no can stand Hulk.”
Notes: The minted version of this recipe, below, is delicate and interesting and pairs nicely with a simple piece of grilled fish or meat. It’s also great as a cold side. If delicate and interesting isn’t quite what you’re looking for, leave out both the mint and lemon juice for a basic version of these mashed pea-tatoes that can be topped with cheese or bacon. (You can also replace the mint in the recipe with 3 cloves of fresh or roasted garlic for a more traditional garlic mash.)
Makes about 6 servings
- 3 lbs potatoes (any kind is ok!)
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 3 sprigs mint
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- Fresh lemon juice
- Milk (optional)
- Peel the potatoes. Cut them into chunks. Boil until fork-tender and drain.
- Thaw peas according to package directions.
- Place sour cream and mint leaves into the bowl of a food processor and blend.
- Add peas and blend until smooth.
- Add potatoes one cup at a time, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Cut butter into pieces and blend into potato mixture.
- Mix in lemon juice to taste, one tablespoon at a time. If the mixture is too thick, add milk by the tablespoon until you like the consistency.
- Salt and season as desired, and serve hot or cold.