Someday, you may suddenly find you’re in need of a side dish. Like, in a hurry.
Maybe you’re headed to someone else’s house for a gathering on short notice, and you don’t have time to cook—or, depending on your situation, to learn how to cook.
Maybe you work in one of those offices that’s keen on midweek potlucks. (Maybe that’s what happened to me, too!)
But as long as you’ve got 15 minutes and a Trader Joe’s, I suggest you make life easy for yourself. Pick up a bag of Harvest Grains (Israeli couscous, orzo, baby chick peas, and red quinoa, although if you are without a Trader Joe’s, or Trader Joe’s is without Harvest Grains, Israeli couscous or orzo alone would be a fine substitute), some dried cranberries, chopped roasted pecans, and a couple of other simple ingredients. You can have them all home and in a pretty bowl before you’ve even found your black boots—not the ones you wear every day, but the special ones, for occasions.
(If they aren’t in the closet, check by the dining table. Mine always seem to end up there.)
Harvest Grains with Cranberries, Feta and Pecans
- 1 16-oz bag Trader Joe’s Harvest Grains blend
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Fresh parsley to taste (optional, but recommended!)
- 1 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup chopped roasted pecans
- 8 oz feta, crumbled
- Prepare entire package of grains according to included directions, using chicken broth or water. Once soft, drain if necessary and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in olive oil and lemon juice, then add chopped parsley, if using. Toss with cranberries, pecans and feta. Serve chilled or at room temperature.