- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper (sliced from the jar is okay, but fresh is better), diced
- 1 fresh tomato*, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp saffron
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
*You can substitute a big scoop of salsa if you have some in the fridge and you’re in a hurry.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the onions and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and jalapeno and saute, stirring near-constantly, for another 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Be careful not to brown the garlic. You may need to further reduce the heat to prevent this from happening, depending on your stove.
- Stir in both cans of beans, the chicken broth, the tomato, and all the spices.
- Bring to a light boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with something awesome, like yellow rice and Bananafish.